Wednesday, October 10, 2007

THE MMP VOTE

Sometimes I have difficulty distinguishing when Alan is being serious or flippant, or flippant for serious reasons, or serious for flippant reasons.

At any rate, he's voting for MMP but thinks all his intelligent acquaintances are voting for the status quo.

From my discussions generally, supporters of MMP think they're system is going to lose, and supporters of FPTP think that they're system is going to lose. One of those groups is going to be wrong - but I think its going to be close. Close to 50-50 that is, which is to say a solid win for the status quo.

Posted by Matthew @ 9:26 a.m.

Read or Post a Comment

The status quo is going to win, because their isn't enough agitation for change. Its the same reason the Liberals are going to win the election.

I'm voting for MMP because I'm tired of my vote not mattering. I'm tired of not having a "voice" or a representative for my view in parliament. I'm so tired of it, that I may stop voting altogether.

FPTP has worked so far, I do grant that, because any form of legitimate democratic process is better than the alternatives. However, that also means that government will continue to work regardless of my participation. My vote hasn't made a wit of difference in any election I participated in, and under FPTP it is unlikely to in the future too.

MMP (though far from perfect) is my price for my continued participation.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ October 10, 2007 1:00 p.m. #
 
<< Home