Saturday, May 26, 2007

PM TRENDING DOWN?

For the past several weeks one of the links in the Google sponsored adds in the side bar has been to an Angus-Reid on-line opinion poll.

There are several different poll questions in the cycle but one of the recurring one's is, "Will you vote for Stephen Harper in the next election - Yes or No." Now, I am dubious about the ability of such a poll to provide an accurate snapshot of support for the PM at any specific time, however, I think the poll may be useful in assessing trends of support for the PM.

Seven or eight weeks ago, when I first noticed the poll question, the prime minister's numbers were running at roughly 70%-30% in his favour. Since then the numbers have moved noticeably and today they stand at only 59%-41% in favour of the PM.

As I said, the PM's support may or may not be at 59% nationally; for one thing the wording of the question is rather vague. However, as an assessment of the relative support for the prime minister over a period of time the poll may be more accurate.

For the record, when I occasionally vote in the poll I always vote 'no'. For me the answer is easy as I don't live in Stephen Harper's riding and therefor cannot vote him. I am after all a firm proponent of the first-past-the-post electoral system and believe citizens should elect individuals to represent them not parties. I therefor interpret the question very strictly.

Posted by Matthew @ 12:35 p.m.