Tuesday, April 19, 2005

SPEAKING OF TIE-BREAKERS

Mader, prompted by Coyne, has a great discussion about the power of the legislative tie-breaker, particularly as it applies to the Speaker of the House in Canada.

Normally, I would add my brief two cents in the comments section over there, but since Mader has unfortunately removed his comments, and since like Mader this is a topic I find really interesting, I'll try and post something on it here. The brief, un-thought out version, I think, is that the Speaker should always vote to maintain the status quo even if that means voting to maintain his own party in power.

Regarding the revival of my blog. I posted more last week than I had originally thought I would. I still have a lot of end-of-term work to get through, so blogging will still be sporadic for the next couple of weeks. The serious revival begins mid-May.

Posted by Matthew @ 11:07 p.m.