Tuesday, October 26, 2004

I FEEL SORRY FOR SHEILA COPPS

Really I do. I know she has a lot of detractors but I've never been one of them. I think she's done a lot of good things for the country as a member of the rat pack and later in Cabinet. She's stood up to a lot of people in the Liberal party when no one else would (Paul Martin) and she's had to take the fall when she didn't really deserve it (GST). I thought it was tough that she lost her nomination to Valleri last year, not unfair, but unfortunate. And back in '96, or maybe it was '97, she sent me a free flag.

So its too bad that she's been reduced to taking shrill pot-shots at the prime minister from the cheap seats. It just smacks of the bitterness of a sore loser.

As for her allegations, I don't doubt that there is some truth to them. I'm also not too concerned. I would not be surprised, in fact I would almost expect, that at some point at some time the future of the Canada Health Act would have been discussed by Cabinet members. I would hope that all existing legislation, even the apparently sacrosanct Health Act, would not be above consideration for reform based on changing circumstances. This is the type of thing government is supposed to do. Obviously, the consideration could not have been that serious because it never came to a debate in a committee, Cabinet, or the Commons. Copps herself didnot even see fit to make a record of the event.

Am I worried that Paul Martin is going to destroy Canadian health-care? Not really. At the very least he'll need the help of the premiers to do it.

Posted by Matthew @ 12:04 p.m.