Tuesday, July 06, 2004

HEART OF THE COUNTRY WATCH

Back in February I ruminated as to the location of the 'centre' or 'heart' of the country. That post generated a significant number of comments that added to the discussion, unfortunately they were lost when I switched my commenting service.

Anyway, in her Canada Day speech on Parliament Hill, the Governor General weighed in on the debate. She declared the the "heart" of the country to be at "the forks of the Red and Assiniboine Rivers." The G-G then, slightly more specifically, comes down on the side of The Middleman who, in February, argued Winnipeg was the centre. I must admit that the Governor General's opinion has weight and perhaps if I could hear her argue her position a little more I might come around. Further, we may be able to distinguish between 'centre' and 'heart'; however, I have to keep up my credentials as an urban easterner so I maintain my original stance that Yonge Street from Lake Ontario to Lake Simcoe is the centre of the country.

Posted by Matthew @ 11:23 a.m.