Friday, May 07, 2004

MOST IMPORTANT EVER?

Apparently the Prime Minster believes that he is about to offer Canadians a debate more important than wartime conscription or peacetime free trade. Paul Martin thinks that the upcoming election (if it ever actually happens) will be the most important election in our nation's history. Ever. Really?

When I read this headline in yesterday's Globe and Mail I couldn't help but laugh. The elections of 1917, 1926, 1940, 1988 and 1993 struck me, simply off the top of my head, as ranking as more historically significant than anything Paul Martin or the other parties will be able to offer up in the coming weeks (months?, years?).

Is the Prime Minister so engrossed with himself that he really believes this? Or is he so naive as to think that his own MP's and even other Canadians will be inspired by more of his empty rhetoric. Yes, this is a time when destiny is ours to hold. I think the Canadian electorate will make this a very historically significant election; significant in the personal career of Paul Martin Jr. anyway.

Update: Next Day, 12:05 p.m.- I assumed I wouldn't be the only one to find Martin's arrogance and hyperbole hillarious. Sure enough Dan Mader had almost the exact same thoughts I did and posted about 9 hours earlier.

Posted by Matthew @ 2:00 a.m.