Tuesday, February 03, 2004

PAUL WELLS WITH ROBERT NAULT

If you haven't read Paul Wells today, or if you haven't checked his site since about 6:00 p.m. you should go back to read it. He has an exclusive interview with the retiring ex-Indian Affairs minister Rober Nault. Why? Apparently Nault just called him up... in Australia, to vent about the PM and his own departure from Paulitics (I think I'm the first one with that pun).

Nault sounds bitter. A few choice quotes:

"They've, in my view, whacked a whole pile of cabinet ministers from the Chretien government simply because they were there."

"I don't have a lot of time or use for Jean Lapierre and/or the separatists [see post below]. And I think if we start filling our team up with nationalists, that's dangerous."

"This [Throne] speech basically announces stuff I did..."

And on the recent retirement of both him and fellow Chretien loyalist Martin Cauchon:

"We're not done yet."

To be honest I was never really that impressed with Nault as Chretien's Indian Affairs minister. I thought he handled the east coast fishing disputes badly and I had a few serious problems with bill C-7 his Aboriginal governance bill. But its interesting to read him venting. But really go to Wells for the whole thing.

Posted by Matthew @ 8:41 p.m.