Friday, February 06, 2004

LAPIERRE: ONE MORE THING

I had another post on Jean Lapierre but I just accidentally lost it so I'll quote what more accomplished and knowledgeable commentators are saying today. I've been trying to move on from this issue but new things just keep popping up. Like this CBC story in which Lapierre discredits the Clarity Act:

"It's useless because it wouldn't change anything. If there was a will in Quebec, a clear will to separate, they would not be able to stop a will like that by trying to have tricks."

This prompts Andrew Coyne to ask:
Does Jean Lapierre speak for the government of Canada?...are we to take it that the government of Canada would acquiesce in a coup d'etat?

Warren Kinsella concurs and adds,
Lapierre is describing as "useless" one of the most important pieces of legislation passed in this country in decades. Useless.

He goes on to confirm my suspicions of Lapierre saying of him:
In the Bloc, I felt Jean had finally found the political home where he would be most comfortable. He never really seemed to believe in a strong, united Canada - at least not while I knew him.

Again, why is this guy going to be in cabinet?

Posted by Matthew @ 2:17 p.m.